Friday, August 17, 2007

Week Six, Things 13, 14, and 15

I have had a personal delicious account:

http://del.icio.us/sckimmel

It's been really handy because I have buttons on my browser bar for My Delicious and Post to My Delicious that allow me to quickly add a site and tag it. It's fairly miscellaneous often representing something I am working on for grad school. I really like the idea of sharing bookmarks and I think it could be useful for a school to create a unique tag for all the relevant curricular websites.

The whole idea of a folksonomy or a classification scheme created by users is really cool. Wouldn't it be interesting if your students could add their tags to books in your library catalog? Of course, the interesting problem with such a classification system is that it bypasses the librarian. Remember we had that class in library school about author and subject authority and why it was important to be consistent in assigning subject headings? So it's interesting to me that tags seem to be somewhere between assigned subject headings and keywords... they offer a greater flexibility than the assigned yet are potentially more accurate than keywords.

I spent considerable time on Technorati performing searches for discourse analysis (I'm attempting for my dissertation) and the movie we just watched "A Peaceful Warrior" to see what people were blogging about both topics. I did find out that a recent issue of Library Quarterly was devoted to discourse and information literacy through someone's blog which was really helpful to me.

I really liked the discussion of library 4.0 http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/002/6.htm and I need to blog more about that later.

No comments: